Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Bar chords....

I've taken a few days off to figure out some 'ish'. The other day I realized: "Hold on a second...I play guitar for a living!" I play in the mornings for my classes, and I am technically a children's 'musician', therefore signifying the ability to play music (in my case the guitar). The only thing is; I suck. It's kind of pathetic actually. 'Real' musicians hang their heads in shame when in my musical presence. I can't even do a bar chord.

bar chord: noun. a musical chord that is played on a stringed instrument using the barré technique (a.k.a. really hard chord that needs a lot of finger strength.)

So, I decided to spend a few days going hog wild, and learning just about every song I've ever wanted to teach myself. After 2 days, my family wanted to shoot their eyes out. How can I suck at something so bad? Which brings me to my next point...I hate sucking at things. I am a perfectionist. Type 'A' personality. I Googled 'perfectionism' and I found this picture which describes me perfectly:




Maybe that's why people succeed in life? The 'ever ending search for perfection'. When I see the wrath eminate from my 5 year old son upon 'loosing a race', or, 'not being first in line' etc. it is a scary sight. The pressure for some kids to excel, even from a very young age, can be very troublesome. As a parent, I constantly remind myself that I am their most significant role model. A daily reminder of how they should pattern their lives, and the inspiration for what they can accomplish. A huge pressure for someone who doesn't feel as though they are anywhere close to even being a grown-up...yet.

So, who cares if I suck at guitar?? Why should it bother me if I don't eat my corn on the cob in perfectly neat little rows?? Did it bother me when I heard myself referred to as 'the Jewish Martha Stewart'? Hell no!!!

I have a lot of work to do......

No comments:

Post a Comment